Are you considering charging your ev at home, but have a few unanswered questions?
We have got you covered! As your trusted partners in the world of electric mobility, we have gathered up some frequently asked questions to provide you with all the information you need.
So, Let’s dive right in!
1. Why should I charge my electric car at home? Charging your electric vehicle at home offers the ultimate convenience. You can start your day with a fully charged battery without having to make a trip to a public charging station. No more waiting in lines or detours from your daily routine!
2. Are there any grants to help with charger costs? Absolutely! Many countries and regions offer financial incentives and grants to encourage the adoption of electric vehicles. These grants can significantly reduce the cost of purchasing and installing your home charger. Be sure to check with your local authorities to take advantage of these benefits. The Office for Zero Emissions has some great options:
The Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV): Your Key to Affordable Home Charging
The Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV), a government initiative dedicated to promoting the shift to zero-emission vehicles, plays a pivotal role in making home EV charging more accessible and affordable. They offer a substantial grant of up to £350 (including VAT) to assist you in covering the expenses associated with purchasing and installing a home charger.
Who’s Eligible for an EV Charger Grant?
To benefit from the EV charger grant provided by OZEV, you must meet certain eligibility criteria. You qualify if:
- You own or use an electric vehicle.
- You reside in a flat or rent your home.
- You have your own private off-street parking space.
For detailed information about the OZEV grant program and how to apply, make sure to visit the official OZEV website HERE, where you can explore the latest updates and guidelines.
This grant can significantly reduce the financial burden of installing a home charger, making it easier for more individuals to embrace electric vehicles and contribute to a sustainable, greener future.
3. What’s included in a standard installation? Standard installation includes everything you need to get your home charging station up and running. This encompasses the charger unit, necessary cabling, and professional installation services. We aim to make the process as smooth as possible for you.
4. Which is the best EV tariff and supplier?
Optimise Your Home EV Charging with the Right Tariff
When it comes to charging your electric vehicle at home, choosing the right tariff can make all the difference. Not only can it save you money, but it can also help reduce your carbon footprint. Here, we break down the key information you need to make an informed choice, our information is correct as of October 2023.
Basic vs. Smarter EV Tariffs
Basic EV tariffs offer a fixed off-peak window for charging, much like the popular Octopus Go. On the other hand, smarter EV tariffs such as Octopus Intelligent and OVO Charge Anytime are designed to align your charging with green energy sources, resulting in lower-carbon charging and more significant savings.
Finding the Best EV Tariff for Your Needs
Selecting the best EV tariff for your specific situation involves a delicate balance between your car and your home’s energy consumption. Consider the following factors:
- Home Charging: Think about how much of your charging you do at home.
- Daytime Energy Usage: Analyse your energy consumption during the day.
- Energy Shifting: Evaluate if you can shift some energy use to off-peak hours for cost savings.
Here, we compare two leading EV tariffs: Octopus Intelligent vs. OVO Charge Anytime.
Octopus Intelligent: Best for Overall Savings
Octopus Energy’s Intelligent Octopus is a smart EV tariff that offers a minimum six-hour off-peak window for charging and home energy use. With the convenience of a scheduling app, you can ensure your vehicle charges when it’s most environmentally friendly. You’ll benefit from a competitive rate of 7.5p/kWh for off-peak electricity, significantly lower than the 9.5p/kWh off-peak rate on the basic Octopus Go EV tariff. Plus, if you have solar panels, you’ll receive a fixed rate of 15p for every kWh you export, making it an even better choice.
Octopus Go: Best ‘Set and Forget’ Tariff
While Octopus Go may be more expensive at 9.5p per kWh compared to the Intelligent Octopus tariff, it remains a popular choice due to its simplicity. It’s available for all makes of EV and works with any home charger. The main drawback is its shorter off-peak window, with just four hours at off-peak rates each night.
OVO Charge Anytime: Best for Daytime Charging
OVO’s Charge Anytime is designed exclusively for your electric vehicle. You’ll enjoy a flat rate of 10p/kWh for charging regardless of when your car charges, thanks to their scheduling app. However, keep in mind that your home electricity use is charged at your standard unit price when you choose this tariff.
Octopus Agile: Best for Savvy Households
Octopus Agile is a unique tariff suitable for any household. It’s ideal for those willing to monitor energy prices and shift their charging and energy use out of the evening peak. By doing so, you can maximize your savings.
More Options to Explore
In addition to the mentioned tariffs, several other options are available to cater to different preferences and situations. Some notable mentions include EDF’s GoElectric, British Gas’s Electric Driver, and more.
Choosing the Right EV Tariff
Selecting the ideal EV tariff depends on your energy consumption patterns and charging needs. An EV tariff can provide a motive to shift your energy use away from peak hours, reducing your reliance on fossil fuels and increasing your use of renewable energy.
Tips for Making the Right Choice
- Prioritise booking a smart meter installation if you don’t already have one.
- Consider the complete cost, including daytime rates and standing charges.
- Check if any offer of a free or discounted home charger aligns with your home setup and preferences.
Top Energy Providers for EV Owners
Octopus Energy, OVO, and British Gas are leading the charge in providing competitive and flexible tariffs for EV owners. Each is making strides in enhancing their offerings and accommodating various EV charging and home energy patterns.
Stay Eco-Friendly with Green EV Tariffs
Rest assured that all EV energy tariffs in the UK guarantee 100% renewable energy. While the specifics may vary, these tariffs ensure a green and sustainable approach to charging your electric vehicle.
Using Economy 7 Meters
Smart meters are generally preferred for EV tariffs, but Economy 7 or Economy 10 meters can also be considered. These meters allow you to take advantage of cheaper rates during off-peak times on several tariffs.
Keep an Eye on Your Electricity Bills
While electric cars are cost-efficient, charging your vehicle at home can increase your energy consumption. Consider switching to an EV tariff, especially if you can shift other energy use to off-peak hours.
A Greener Tomorrow Awaits
Beyond choosing the right tariff, there are numerous ways to make your energy consumption more sustainable. From solar panels to home batteries and even investing in wind farms, you can take further steps to reduce your carbon footprint and save money. Start by exploring our free EV energy comparison and home energy assessment.
Remember, the world of EV tariffs is evolving, and new options are continually emerging. Keep an eye on the market, stay informed, and you can make the best choice for your electric vehicle charging needs.
5. Can’t I just charge my car from a regular wall socket? While it is technically possible to charge your EV from a standard wall socket, it’s not the most efficient method. Using a dedicated home charger like our E.ON 7.4kW wall-mounted unit significantly reduces your charging time, ensuring you get back on the road faster.
6. I’m worried someone might use my charger while I’m at work. Is it secure? Rest assured, your charger is equipped with advanced security features to prevent unauthorized access. Plus, our expert technicians ensure a secure installation, so you can charge with confidence.
7. How long will it take to charge my car using a 7.4kW home charger? Using our E.ON 7.4kW wall-mounted home charger, you can charge your electric vehicle from 20% to 100% battery in just 6 hours, based on a Tesla Model 3 with a battery capacity of up to 50kWh. Compare this to a 2.4kW 3-pin plug, which would take a longer 18.3 hours for the same charge. The choice is clear: opt for faster and more efficient charging with our home charger.
🔌 Power up your electric vehicle at home, hassle-free with our home charging solutions. Join the electric revolution and embrace the future of transportation! For more information or to schedule your installation, visit our website today.